AZE: Homemade Lunch @ Xinaliq

Little did I know that tea could go so well with jam made of figs!

Before I post more airline meals that I had on my way back home to Singapore from Azerbaijan, I thought it'd be worthwhile to come up with one on a home-cooked lunch that I had in the country's most isolated and highest village. It was part of the day tour to Quba and Xinaliq that I signed up for with TES Tour.


The cost of the lunch isn't included in the package, which is to be handed over directly to the villager hosting the lunch. At the point of writing, it's AZN 12.00 per person (~S$9.40).


Assorted Stuff

I started off with a piece of bread that was served warm, which went well with the homemade curd cheese that was slightly acidic and salty. The salad comprising chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and onions was so refreshing.


Red Lentil Soup

Following which, each guest was presented with a bowl of blended red lentil soup topped with some chopped herbs. It wasn't seasoned, so we were advised to add salt according to our liking. True enough, a bit of salt to enhance the earthy flavours further.


Pilaf & Dolma

Without the intent to exaggerate, that was among the best pilaf that I've ever had in my life. Beating any others that I had during my short trip to the country, it was delectably buttery and fluffy with some sweet dried apricots. Stuffed grape leaves were also prepared for us, accompanied by yogurt that I found to be rather thin.


The aromatic grape leaves were stuffed with minced lamb and rice. 


Tea & Fig Jam


In Azerbaijan, there's a saying that "it's the taste of tea that decides if a man will get to marry the woman he desires." The lunch ended with a fragrant cup of tea, which was truly a delight to have with such an amazing fig jam made with love, which left me craving for more.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10

It was interesting to see that the long rectangular room where we had our lunch is also someone's bedroom. Pika's advice: It's possible to buy the jam when the family still has a lot of it. Alas, they almost ran out of it when I was there.


Homemade Lunch @ Xinaliq

Quba
Azerbaijan
(Part of day tour by TES Tour)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ392 (Premium Economy)