BGM: Maison Dandoy

"Spectaculoos speculoos" and waffle!

Don't leave Belgium without indulging in its waffles. That's what everyone says, right? Apart from those that my BFF and I got from small kiosks as we were wandering about Brussels, we also tried one at Maison Dandoy that has been around since 1829, operating a total of ten branches at the point of writing.


We went to the branch at the stylish shopping arcade called Saint-Hubert Royal Galleries, which I believe is the nearest to Floris Arlequin Grand Place Hotel.


Brussels Waffle (Brown Sugar) €5.50 (~S$8.75)
Taste: 9/10

Characteristics of a Belgian waffle include a lighter texture, larger squares and deeper pockets compared to its American counterpart. I found Maison Dandoy's version to be palatably airy and crispy. To go with it, I had the most crystalline brown sugar I've ever seen in my life, which had the right degree of sweetness.


Homemade Iced Tea €4.50 (~S$7.15)
Taste: 7.5/10

The cafĂ© serves not only homemade iced tea, but also homemade lemonade that varies according to season. With a light golden colour, it almost didn't taste sweet at all with a hint of lavender should I trust my taste buds. I wouldn't say it was special, but it certainly tasted pleasant on the tongue.


Afternoon Craving €6.50 (~S$10.35)

Given the motto, I couldn't afford to miss their artisanal biscuits. As such, I went for the set menu that includes a hot beverage of choice. Pika's advice: Instead of a hot beverage, you may want to have your biscuits with a glass of champagne. Bubbles & Biscuits costs €12.00 (~S$19.05).


Biscuits (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Different types of biscuits were presented on a small plate that was carefully placed by the staff to preserve their positions. I certainly relished the dark-coloured spiced biscuit having an image of a windmill that was really fragrant. Most of them were enjoyably buttery and not too sweet, save for the sticky caramel almond brittle.


Speculoos Macchiato (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

I didn't have much difficulty deciding on which beverage to order. The coffee that came with whipped cream topped with spiced biscuit and its crumbs was aromatic enough for my liking, although I felt that it could use slightly less milk. Besides that, it wasn't that hot when it arrived on the table.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

The original shop is at Rue au Beurre 31, which is slightly more crowded than any other branches based on my observation.


Le Bistro

Galerie du Roi 2
Brussels
Belgium
(Daily: 10.00am - 9.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market