SIN: Inside Singapore Airlines @ SIA Training Centre

A sneak peek of the new short-haul Economy Class meal (sans the satay)!

Following the Restaurant A380 @ Changi event that I attended sometime last month, I had the opportunity to take part in Singapore Airlines' behind-the-scenes tour named Inside Singapore Airlines. For this particular event, SIA Training Centre is opening its doors to registered guests over the last two weekends of November 2020.


Each ticket entitles its holder to one complimentary main course presented in an eco-friendly box, which will be featured in most short-haul flights below 3.5 hours in the Economy Class cabin from 1 December 2020 onwards.


Nasi Lemak with Chicken S$6.00
Taste: 7.5/10

I sampled one of the breakfast items that one can expect onboard under the new dining concept. The rice wasn't only cooked well, but also adequately fragrant. The chicken was well-marinated with turmeric, a delight to have with the chili that wasn't too hot, but pretty sweet with a bit of anchovies. The spiced fish cake, which we call otah in Singapore, was rather bland though. If not for the different colours, I guess one could possibly mistaken it for the accompanying egg.


Braised Beef and Mushroom Ragout with Mashed Potatoes S$6.00
Taste: 8/10

My friend opted for the Western main course of braised beef and mushroom ragout. I believe I've previously had something similar onboard, but given that I tried it again at ground level last Saturday, it tasted even better. While there could be more of the red meat, the sauce was thick enough for my liking and delectably savoury with a tinge of sourness that I found refreshing. The mashed potatoes were milky and velvety.


Pulut Hitam Cake S$2.00
Taste: 7/10

I was wondering how the cake version of my one my most favourite dessert of all times would look like, but it turned out to be a rather thin layer of the black glutinous rice with coconut milk on top of a pandan-flavoured cake that was soft enough for my liking. The top layer tasted quite good, though something richer would be more welcomed.


SIA Signature Chicken Satay (6 pcs) S$10.00
Taste: 8/10

It's not something that appears in an Economy Class meal, but the airline's signature chicken satay, normally served in Business Class and First Class as an hors d'oeuvre, can be purchased at the event. I enjoyed the plump and succulent chicken chunks that were grilled close to perfection, and by that, I mean they could be smokier in taste. The chunky peanut sauce wasn't too sweet, and for that I was grateful. There were only onions, not cucumbers, served on the side. Pika's advice: For those who really like the satay so much, you may want to purchase frozen ones by the dozen to be consumed at home. A dozen costs S$20.00

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10

I know it may not be easily believable, but each of the main course box contains the same volume of food as the usual plastic casserole.

Inside Singapore Airlines @ SIA Training Centre

720 Upper Changi Road East
SIA Training Centre
Singapore


*Prices quoted are subject to 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: Mid-Autumn 2024 Mooncakes @ Luna

COL: Brasas Del Llano

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ392 (Premium Economy)