AZE: Cay Bagi 145

Eat breakfast like a king!

Literally meaning 'Tea Garden 145', Cay Bagi 145 is a teahouse-cum-restaurant that's located in the heart of Icherisheher, the Old City of Baku. Step into this renowned eatery, and you'll be in for a treat as it offers not only delectable dishes, but also a gorgeous view of the surroundings and the Caspian Sea from its enclosed terrace area.


Even though my BFF and I'd eaten a little bit of breakfast at Center City Hotel Baku, we didn't want to let the opportunity of trying their famous breakfast set slip away.


Breakfast for Two AZN 35.00 (~S$27.75)
Taste: 8.5/10

Such a lavish spread, don't you think?


Bread

We told the person who took our order that we'd like to skip the complimentary bread, but it ended up being brought to the table anyway. The bread was pretty good as it was airy and lightly seasoned.


Assorted Stuff #1 (Set Menu)

I was so excited when I saw those half-cut pieces of circular bread encrusted with sesame seeds, which are known as simit in Turkey. Served warm and crunchy, they went well with a plethora of jam and dips, such as chocolate butter, sweetened condensed milk and sour cream. Also served on the platter were apple, orange and gherkin slices, as well as marinated olives.


Assorted Stuff #2 (Set Menu)

Presented on a rectangular board were a mix of sweet and savoury items. French toasts and thin crêpe slices, anyone? I'm glad that the savoury ones - roasted baby potatoes, ham slices, sausages and sucuk (Turkish semi-dried beef-based sausage) - were none too salty.


Assorted Stuff #3 (Set Menu)

There were three types of cheese served on the black-coloured plate. Among all, the cheese curds had the highest sodium content. The tomatoes and cucumbers were so fresh and juicy that I couldn't stop popping them into my mouth.


Stir-Fried Eggs with Tomatoes (Set Menu)

We got to choose two egg dishes form the menu. As a big fan of Chinese tomato egg stir-fry and menemen (Turkish scrambled eggs with tomatoes), it wasn't a difficult decision for me to go for the Azerbaijan counterpart called pomidor chighirtmasi. The eggs were velvety enough with a harmonious balance of the sweet, the sour and the savoury.


Eggs with Sucuk (Set Menu)

I left the other choice to my BFF, who eventually opted for eggs fried with sucuk. There wasn't anything to complain about it, although I was hoping that there'd be at least two more slices of sucukPika's advice: You may want to go for Kuku, a dish of fried eggs with herbs, if you haven't tried it before.


Tea (Set Menu)

It'd be a lie if I were to say that I didn't enjoy the fragrant tea that truly warmed my body and soul. Although I don't usually add sugar to my tea, I decided to add just a little bit of it, which seemed to bring out the aroma further.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10
Ambience: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8.5/10

I'm not sure if you can order the breakfast sets during dinner hours, but they should be available in the afternoon as we reached there at 12.30pm.


Cay Bagi 145

3 Boyuk Qala Street
Baku
Azerbaijan
(Twenty Four / Seven)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

MEX: Guacamole Grill