CUR: Gouverneur de Rouville

Delectably sweet and savoury Cuban banana soup!

Named after Abraham Mathieu de Rouville, a respectable ex-governor of Curaçao, Gouverneur de Rouville is a bar-cum-restaurant with a beautiful architecture. Sitting at the balcony area allows you to enjoy your meal and/or drink with a magnificent view of the colourful Handelskade across the river.


It's advisable to book a table in advance, which can be done online via their website. It escaped my mind to do so, but thankfully my BFF and I were able to get ours within 40 minutes on a Monday evening. We were also lucky to be able to get a balcony seat for dinner.


Bread

I really enjoyed the bread that was served warm with her butter. I'd certainly love to have more than one, but I was afraid that I'd be too full.


Cuban Banana Soup US$9.55 (~S$13.05)
Taste: 9/10

I've never been to Cuba before, but I appreciated the opportunity to try its local dish of banana soup. That was a truly awesome starter to whet my appetite, for the soup was creamy and rich with a lovely sweet and savoury balance. Coming with crispy bread and plantain, it was slightly spicy.



Caribbean Chicken US$20.40 (~S$27.85)
Taste: 6.5/10

I had a love hate feeling with the Caribbean style chicken. It was a pity that the white meat was rather dry, but the coconut-based marinade was delicious and the mango salsa on top of it was refreshing. The main course came with long beans, grilled pineapple, potato gratin and fries with a side of mayonnaise.



Kabritu Curry US$22.70 (~S$31.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

Goat curry was another main course that we shared. Taste wise, it wasn't that different from mutton curry found in Southeast Asia. In fact, I felt that the restaurant's version could be more fragrant and slightly spicier. The goat meat was tender, going well with the spiced rice mixed with beans and raisins.


Blue Curaçao Cheesecake US$8.55 (~S$11.65)
Taste: 7.5/10

The restaurant section has got a a selection of dessert items, but my eyes had been fixed on the cheesecake infused with Blue Curaçao that was displayed near the bar counter. While it didn't taste as amazing as its appearance, it was pretty creamy with a hint of citrus from the liqueur. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I suppose it's kinda ironic that the Cuban dish tasted way better than the local specialties, but I enjoyed my slow and relaxing dinner. Pika's advice: Take note that some of the main courses available for dinner are priced lower for lunch.


Gouverneur de Rouville

De Rouvilleweg
Willemstad
Curaçao
(Daily: 10.00am - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market