GUY: Maharaja Palace

The best restaurant in Georgetown, Guyana?

Prior to booking a room at Brandsville Hotel, little did I know that the #1 restaurant on TripAdvisor, at the point of writing, is within walking distance from the said accommodation. Maharaja Palace is located on the third floor of a building named Annjees that's colourfully lit in the evening.


Pika's advice: Perhaps you'll be interested to know that the restaurant serves not only Indian, but also other Asian cuisine, such as Chinese and Thai dishes. The latter don't seem cheap though.


Palak Shorba GY$790 (~S$5.20)
Taste: 7.5/10

To break the monotony from having palak paneer (Indian spinach purée with cottage cheese) whenever I go to a restaurant serving North Indian cuisine, I decided to try the spinach soup as an appetiser. Served piping hot, it was cooked with a rather substantial amount of pepper that made it spicy.


Banjara Kebab GY$1,900 (~S$12.50)
Taste: 8.5/10

Maharaja Palace offers a wide variety of kebabs, many of which I'm not familiar with. The staff who took the order suggested the one served on a bed of shredded cabbages using a hotplate, featuring tender chicken chunks that were well-marinated and full of spices. The smoky taste was really appetising and whetted my appetite.


Prawn Dum Biryani GY$2,900 (~S$19.10)
Taste: 8/10

Enough to be shared by two or three people, the quintessential Indian rice dish came with quite a generous amount of prawns that were succulent. Also, I appreciated the fact that it was topped with lots of fried shallots that made it fragrant. While it was good, I felt that the flavours could be stronger.


Rasmalai GY$800 (~S$5.25)
Taste: 8/10

Described by some as "rich cheesecake without a crust", rasmalai is a sweet indulgence of cottage cheese soaked in sweetened milk. I enjoyed the decadent dessert, which thankfully wasn't overly sweet. The cardamon-infused milk was aromatic and had a vivid yellow colour due to saffron.


El Dorado (5 Years) GY$500 (~S$3.30)

I don't usually order rum at a restaurant, but since I'd travelled all the way to Guyana, I just had to give the famous El Dorado rum a try. The youngest version was already sweet and strong enough for me. I wonder how would the 21 years old equivalent taste like?

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Service: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

I had a truly relaxing dinner with my BFF, especially since the restaurant wasn't crowded. The two staff I interacted with were genuinely amiable and efficient in their service. Thank you very much!


Maharaja Palace

207 Sheriff Street
Georgetown
Guyana
(Mon-Fri: 11.00am - 3.00pm, 6.00pm - 11.00pm;
Sat-Sun: 11.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market