QAT: Qatar Airways QR956 (Business)

Chinese dishes done right and, in fact, better than the rest!

After a long enough layover to make full use of Al Mourjan Business Lounge at Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar, it was time for my BFF and me to take our second last flight of the year. We boarded one of Qatar Airways' Boeing 787-8 aircraft that'd bring us back to Jakarta, Indonesia.


I don't really want to mention this, but somehow Melon looked like an apparition in the photo above.


Welcome Drink

As soon as I was seated, a truly amiable flight attendant asked me what drink would I like to enjoy while waiting for the boarding process to be completed. I requested for a glass of rosé champagne with a hint of floral aroma.


Apéritif & Roasted Nuts

Prior to the late night dining service, I enjoyed a glass of luscious dessert wine with a beautiful colour reminiscent of brown topaz. Just like in the previous flight, the drink came with roasted cashew nuts and almonds.


QR Meal #1

Bread

Served lukewarm, the dinner roll was soft enough for my liking.

Soup of the Day - Taste: 8.5/10

I indicated to the flight attendant that I'd like to have the soup, but I didn't ask what it'd be and she didn't tell me either. It was a pleasant surprise to be having a legit Chinese herbal soup that whetted my appetite. It didn't come with any meat, but it was flavoured with chicken stock.


Aubergine Tortellini with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce Taste: 8.5/10

I'd wanted to order stir-fried beef tenderloin with ginger, but they'd run out of it by the time my order was taken. As such, I went for the vegetarian dish of aubergine tortellini, which turned out to be tastier than expected. The al dente Italian wantons were topped with rocket leaves and parmesan cheese.


Warm Traditional Basbousa with Saffron Ashta - Taste: 7.5/10

Unbeknownst to us, we flew with QR956 on Qatar's National Day that's celebrated on 18 December annually. To commemorate the occasion, the airline served a traditional semolina cake sweetened with orange blossom water. Served with cream, pistachio crumbs and sesame crackers, it tasted rather interesting, but not particularly awesome.



Godiva Pralines

Similar to the previous flight, each passenger received two pieces of Godiva pralines.

Beverages

I settled for a mug of mildly sweet hot chocolate that could be richer. For those who don't drink alcoholic beverages, there are a few varieties of mocktails to choose from.


Snacks

From the self-service area, I took a packet of sun-dried tomato bruschetta snack. I also an orange that I eventually had together with my breakfast.


Wake Up Juice

Two minutes after the flight attendant woke me up for breakfast, she brought me a glass of chilled orange juice to freshen up.



QR Meal #2

Bread

I had a soft bun with unsalted butter and strawberry jam. I didn't try the danish and the croissant that looked dehydrated.

Greek Yogurt with Blueberry Compote - Taste: 8/10

One of the starter items offered onboard was a light portion of Greek yogurt served with homemade  sweet and sour blueberry compote and raisins. It was topped with crispy toasted granola and nuts that provided a nice textural contrast.

Balik Style Smoked Salmon - Taste: 8/10

Traditionally, balik (lit. imperial) smoked salmon selected from finest Atlantic salmon was reserved exclusively for the Russian Tsar and his court. For breakfast, the airline paired the hand-trimmed smoked salmon with dill cream cheese, along with sun-dried cherry tomatoes, caperberries and rocket leaves.



Traditional Arabic Breakfast - Taste: 7.5/10

Nicely presented was a bowl of foul (Middle Eastern dish of cooked broad beans) mixed with tahini (Middle Eastern sauce made of sesame paste, garlic, lemon juice and water) to be eaten with Arabic bread. Complemented with feta cheese and vegetables, it tasted pretty good, but could be richer and more velvety.

Beef Congee - Taste: 8.5/10

Who'd expect the congee to taste better than the Middle Eastern main course? Not only was it silky smooth, it came with an adequate amount of juicy minced beef marinated in soy sauce. Also in the piping hot bowl of happiness were julienned eggs, mushrooms and spring onions.


Beverages

Besides having a top of up orange juice, I had a cup of cappuccino topped with chocolate powder. Its level of sweetness was just right for me, but it could be more aromatic.


Mint

Prior to landing, a packet of mint was distributed to every passenger.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Thank you for the food and drinks, as well as the warm hospitality! Pika's advice: Should you wish to maximise your sleep, opt for Express Breakfast comprising pastry and tea or coffee.


Qatar Airways

Business Class Cabin
Boeing 787-8


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)