AUT: Austrian Airlines OS25 (Business)

Welcome to the Vienna Coffee House above the clouds!

My virgin experience with Austrian Airlines was in the Business Class cabin, thanks to miles redemption. My BFF and I had a 10-hour flight from Vienna, Austria to Bangkok, Thailand, in which I tasted one of the best dessert wines in life. It was probably my first time having fried chicken above 35,000 feet.


Pikachu was so excited to try the Austrian style fried chicken presented before him.


Welcome Drink

Both my BFF and I had a glass of Duval-Leroy Brut Reserve champagne each after we were seated. They were pretty crisp, but not as bubbly as expected.



OS Meal #1

Vitello Tartufato - Taste: 8.510

For appetiser, the more exciting choice was the veal. I relished the thin slices of the red meat were topped with truffle sauce, rocket salad and cherry tomatoes. The veal was succulent, while the truffle sauce was tasty and velvety without overpowering the taste profile of the dish.

Broccoli and Chickpea Salad - Taste: 7/10

For vegetarians or those who don't fancy veal, the salad sitting on a thin layer of hummus was a decent choice in my opinion. While the broccoli could be juicier, the chickpeas were adequately spiced and seasoned with a hint of lemon juice.

Bread

I requested for a poppy seed roll, which was fluffy enough for my liking, while my BFF took a few thin biscuits. Unfortunately, I didn't see any garlic bread in the basket.



Traditional Backhendl - Taste: 7.5/10

Backhendl (lit. fried chicken) has been known as a specialty of Viennese cuisine since the 18th century, originally only accessible to the upper class society. I wouldn't say the breaded chicken accompanied by baby potatoes was life-changing. It wasn't that crispy, but given the environment, it was surprisingly pretty flavourful and tender. 

Salmon a la Vapeur - Taste: 8.5/10

The salmon main course might not look particularly appetising, but it was delicious. Being flaky and succulent, the fish was steamed to almost rosy perfection. It was accompanied by creamy mashed potatoes and fragrant pesto sauce. The salad served on the side was fresh enough.




Tiramisu - Taste: 8/10

The dessert items, served on triangular plates, didn't disappoint either. I enjoyed the decadent tiramisu that told me a story about the happy marriage among eggs, milk, vanilla and, of course, coffee. I believe you can see from the photo above that it was soaked with a good cup of joe.

Raspberry Jelly - Taste: 8/10

Something that'd please little kids, as well as me, the raspberry jelly was a simple dessert concept that was executed well. The bottom layer of raspberry didn't taste too artificial, which was balanced in sweetness by the creamy, milky top layer.

Assorted Cheese and Fruit

Besides the two favourable dessert items, I also shared some cheese, as well as an assortment of fruit cubes that was fresh and sweet, with my BFF.




Beverages

The flight attendant accidentally skipped my BFF and me at first, but came back not long afterwards to take our order after sincerely apologising about it. While waiting for my very strong Reisetbauer apricot brandy, she offered me a lovely glass of full-bodied white wine as she saw me having the salmon. Together with the dessert, I had a glass of dessert wine from Burgenland that blew my mind.

Nope, that wasn't the end. Once everything had been cleared from the table, it was time for an elevated coffee and/or tea service. From the menu, I opted for the iced coffee: wiener eiskaffee. Let's just say I'm very much tempted to request for another glass of the double espresso served with vanilla ice cream and freshly whipped cream, but I was already too sleepy and wanted to go to bed at around 3.00am local time. Pika's advice: The iced coffee is only served on outbound flights from Vienna, so don't miss it!




OS Meal #2

Emmentaler Cheese Omelette Taste: 8/10

For breakfast, I had one of the better omelette dishes I've had onboard till date. The egg was fluffy and filled with a generous amount of melted cheese. Served on the side were some juicy mushrooms and half a tomato, which I thought could've been roasted a bit longer to bring out the sweetness.

Homemade Raspberry Pancakes Taste: 7.5/10

As for the sweet option, the mini pancakes filled with raspberry were pretty good too. The filling, which was leaning towards the sour side, was balanced by the sweet compote served on the side. Had then pancakes been fluffier, I would've given a higher score.

Others

Assorted ham, cheese and fruit came with the breakfast tray. We were also offered some muesli and yogurt, both of which weren't actually written in the menu booklet so they came as a pleasant surprise.

Bread

Since we saw croissants among other regular bread options, each of us went for a piece that was flaky and buttery enough for our liking.

Beverages

To start with, I had a glass of tomato juice, while my BFF had his apple juice. After that, I had two cups of black coffee that was pretty strong and fragrant.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

For the delectable catering by DO & CO and the outstanding iced coffee, I'd certainly love to fly with the airline again.


Austrian Airlines

Business Class Cabin
Boeing 777-200


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

MEX: Guacamole Grill