BRN: Nasi Katok Mama [Takeaway]

A local fare of rice and chicken with your choice of sauce!

An affordable signature dish of Brunei, nasi katok (lit. knock rice) is a simple dish of rice, chicken and chili. As far as I know, it's priced at B$1.00 (=S$1.00) anywhere in the country. As I've been seeing quite a few good reviews of Nasi Katok Mama that has several branches in town, I decided to share two variants with my BFF.


Would you like to make a wild guess of the flavour of each chicken?


Nasi Katok Chicken Wing Hot Spicy Habanero B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

For the uninitiated, Habanero chilis are very hot, rated 100,000 - 350,000 on the Scoville scale. However, despite its name, the chicken wing wasn't prohibitively spicy. I enjoyed the sticky sweet and spicy sauce that clung onto the tender wing. The chili that came with the rice was too watery for my liking though.


Nasi Katok Chicken Wing Teriyaki B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 6.5/10

I wanted to try the chicken wing with honey mustard sauce, but it wasn't available that evening. I ended up choosing the one with the Japanese sweet sauce, which turned out to be a tad too sweet for my liking. Pika's advice: If you like the fatty rear end of a chicken, you can have a few of them in place of the chicken wing.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10

On our way back to the hotel, we walked past the biggest mosque in Brunei: Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque.


Nasi Katok Mama

Jalan Beribi
Sim Kim Huat Department Store
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market