SIN: Old School Delights

Spend your recess time at this eatery!

How many of you miss the flag erasers we used to collect during our primary school days? Be transported to the past with Old School Delights. At first, I was a tad skeptical about the humble restaurant housed inside Esplanade Mall, but certainly it was pretty much unfounded. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised the moment I tried some of the dishes offered.


Speaking of flag erasers, how many country flags can you recall off-hand?


Nasi Lemak Supreme S$10.80
Taste: 8/10 

For the price, I feel that the dish is really worth it. The rice infused with fresh coconut milk and pandan leaves was pretty aromatic. The deep-fried chicken wing was juicy and crunchy, while the prawns cooked in house-made chili were succulent and spicy enough for my liking. There were also omelette, spiced fish cake (a.k.a. otah), peanuts, anchovies and cucumber slices.


Laksa D'Lite S$7.80
Taste: 7.5/10

Seeing a rooster bowl made me feel nostalgic. Served inside was an adequate portion of white noodle in curry broth that went easy on the coconut milk, but thankfully not so short on flavours. Seafood wise, there were prawns, cockles and sliced fish cakes. Additionally, there were beancurd puffs, slices of a boiled egg, Vietnamese coriander and chili that wasn't too spicy.


Chendol S$4.50
Taste: 8/10

For this perennially favourite dessert, the eatery makes its own jade-coloured jelly worms with natural pandan juice. They were sitting on top of shaved ice, which could be fluffier, with sweetened red beans. The coconut milk was delectably thick and rich, blending well with the gula melaka (Malay brown sugar) syrup.


Aunty Gaya's Banana Cake S$4.50
Taste: 8.5/10

Asian style banana cake ranks among the top three cakes I enjoy in this world. Promised to be devoid of essence, preservatives and colouring, Aunty Gaya's recipe calls for fresh wholesome bananas. It was such a simple pleasure with heady fragrance and mild sweetness that kept me wanting for more.


Teh O S$2.00
Taste: 8/10

Nothing beats a cup of coffee or tea to go with banana cake. Even though I'm more of a coffee person, I'm trying to limit myself to one cup per day. Since I'd had my morning dose, I went for red tea instead, which was fragrant. I was delighted to see the iced gem biscuits, certainly a nice touch that transported me back to my childhood days.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

At the point of writing, I've been to the eatery twice. Soon it shall be my third! Pika's advice: Be delighted that the eatery offers value-for-money lunch sets on weekdays from 12 noon to 2.30pm that come with free drinks and dessert of the day.

Old School Delights

8 Raffles Avenue
#02-25 Esplanade Mall
Singapore
(Wed-Mon: 12 noon - 9.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market