QAT: Qatar Airways QR957 (Economy)

Gobbling down two full course meals within 6 hours!

In order to tick Qatar off the list, my BFF and I flew from Jakarta, Indonesia to Doha, Qatar by Qatar Airways. In spite of the flight taking less than 9 hours, it took me by surprise that the airline provided two full course meals even for passengers in the Economy Class.


I suppose you can't go hungry when flying with Qatar Airways. I recall seeing three choices of main courses for each meal service.




QR Meal #1

Tomato, Sweet Corn and Cucumber Salad - Taste: 8/10

It was a simple appetiser, but I enjoyed the fresh and crunchy enough vegetables drizzled with zesty chili lime dressing. There weren't many corn kernels though, which would otherwise balance the flavours even better.

Braised Rosemary Beef with Mashed Potatoes Taste: 8/10

I relished the succulent beef chunks doused with brown sauce made aromatic with rosemary. They came with rather milky mashed potatoes, though they could be more velvety. The sautéed non-frozen green peas and carrots were moist.

Roasted Chicken with Black Pepper Sauce  Taste: 7/10

The chicken dish paled in comparison to the beef counterpart. While the white meat was tender, the sauce wasn't as flavourful and spicy as expected. The accompanying egg fried rice was cooked well, but the vegetables were a bit dry.

Caramel Brownie  Taste: 7.5/10

Coming with a layer of cream on top, the caramel brownie was adequately sweet for my liking. The caramel aroma could be stronger though.

Bread

The bun passed the acid test as it was fluffy enough.

Kit Kat

Have a break? Have a classic chocolate Kit Kat.

Beverages

Qatar Airways isn't a dry airline. Not intending to have any alcoholic beverages, I opted for Diet Pepsi, followed by a cup of hot tea that was quite fragrant. On the other hand, my BFF had a dose of red wine.



QR Meal #2

Noodle Salad with Vegetables and White Sesame Taste: 7/10

The noodle salad mixed with a bit of julienned carrots and cucumbers was pretty tasty, but it wasn't as moist as I'd love it to be. It was topped with a small amount of white sesame seeds.

Grilled Fish Fillet with Creamy Mustard Sauce Taste: 8/10

To me, the best main course throughout the flight was the flaky fish fillet that came with mustard sauce. It was accompanied by diced vegetables sautéed with butter, as well as roasted potatoes that unfortunately were a tad dry.

Chicken Curry with Steamed Jasmine Rice Taste: 8/10

The chicken curry was delicious as it wasn't only sweet and savoury, but also spicy enough to boost my appetite. I was glad that the white rice wasn't dry, while the vegetables weren't overcooked.

Seasonal Fresh Fruits

While the pineapple cubes were a tad overripe, the rest - watermelon, honeydew and papaya - was fresh.

Bread

I had a preference for the bun served earlier, which was fluffier than that served during the second meal service.

Kit Kat

There was another classic Kit Kat to sweeten my day.

Beverages

I only had apple juice, while my BFF decided to have Diet Pepsi. I didn't go for coffee or tea as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep later.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

By the end of the flight, I was really stuffed. Pika's advice: While it's best to pre-order vegetarian meals before your flight, the third main course available from the standard menu is always a vegetarian dish. 

Qatar Airways

Economy Class Cabin
Boeing 787-8


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market